What approvals do I need for my NSW renovation? - Misc. AU
What approvals do I need for my NSW renovation?

What approvals do I need for my NSW renovation?

Words by Construction Concierge

If you’re looking to add value or function to your home or apartment, a great way to do that is by carrying out renovations. This renovation could take the form of an extension, a new bathroom or a brand new kitchen and in every case, you’ll need to make sure that you’re obtaining council approval wherever necessary.

So, the big question is if you’re carrying out these construction works in New South Wales, what approvals will you need to acquire and for what kind of works? It can be quite confusing to the novice, but that’s exactly what we look into here. By reading to the end, you’ll get a clear idea of what’s required. So, if you’re ready, we’ll dive straight in.

Required Approvals Change from Council to Council

Across Australia, there are no hard and fast rules when talking about residential construction, as the guidelines will vary from council to council. However, a good rule of thumb to follow is that if your renovation project involves internal work that doesn’t involve any structural changes, then you won’t need to obtain approval.

Conversely, if your project is going to involve external renovations, then it will almost certainly require you to obtain council approval. Depending on which local council your property falls under, you may need approval for a relatively small job like new decking or fencing, so it’s always important to check.

Kitchen & Bathroom Renovations?

Many people choose to enhance their homes with major kitchen or bathroom renovations, which you might think would be large enough to require the approval of your council. The truth is that if you’re not changing the location of the walls or windows or indeed the size of the windows, then you’re going to be ok to carry on without official consent.

What you’ll pretty much always require to obtain approval for are large extensions and those that involve major excavation, as well as the construction of additional freestanding buildings on your land. Where the ambiguity comes in is when you’re talking about water tanks, carports, retaining walls, pergolas, sheds and fences, as what’s ok in one council, might not be in another.

Need Help With Your Renovation Project?

As you can see, whilst the guidelines concerning what needs council approval and what doesn’t are obvious in some areas, there are others in which the rules aren’t so clear-cut. That’s why it’s so important to check in with your local council in order to avoid having to go through the hassle and expense of having to demolish un-approved renovations.

The easy option to ensure that your renovation project remains compliant is to get in touch with the Construction Concierge team. We’re your one-stop-shop for all of your building needs, from finding the right tradesmen to obtaining architects drawings, we’ll ensure that your building project goes smoothly - and we don’t even charge for our services!

For more information about us and how we work, visit us online at

www.constructionconcierge.com.au or fill out our contact form for advice or a no-obligation quote. Upon receipt of your enquiry, we’ll get back to you as soon as we possibly can. We look forward to hearing from you and showing you what stress-free renovations look like!

Recommended reading